Friday, January 18, 2013

Features Author....Vivien Sparx... Day 5

*Contains adult material not suitable for those under 18 years of age.

I have written romance stories since I was a teenager and more recently I have focused my writing on erotic romance. One of the things I pride myself on is being able to tell an erotic story without ever using profane or graphic language; it's just the way I like my stories to be.
You can find me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/viviensparxauthor
I have had a lot of feedback from my readers and the tone or my stories seems to strike a chord with fans of books like Bared to You by Sylvia Day and Reflected in You by Sylvia Day. I think everyone who reads my kind of stories has already read 50 Shades of Grey and the Bared to You Crossfire novels.
Between E L James and Sylvia Day these ladies are responsible for generating huge interest in the genre of stories I happen to write.
I am sure my stories will never reach the dizzy heights of success that 50 Shades of Grey, Bared to You, and Reflected in You have already reached... but I am having fun trying.
Facebook Fan page:
Blog page:
 
 
Interview:
    Where do you get your writing inspiration from?
The basis for every story I write and for every character I create are initially drawn from people I know and meet and their relationships. Once I settle on the characters it is merely a matter then of transporting them into an extraordinary situation and set of circumstances and watching how they react.

     Did you have to do any research for your books? If so what?
Because I write erotic romance stories that often feature mild BDSM erotic highlights it was important for me to understand the motivation for my alpha male heroes and the types of women that respond to strong compelling men. My research included an awareness of BDSM erotica as well as extensive discussions with a well known psycho therapist that helped me understand the mind set of these relationships and how they work. No Vivien Sparx story ever contains profane language or crude expressions and nor do they contain descriptions of extreme BDSM. That doesn't mean they aren't a very steamy tantalising read. There is something very sexy about being tied to a bed and blindfolded when you know your lover is someone you can trust and who cares about you…

    What are you working on now?
I have a really fantastic group of passionate Facebook friends, and one of the things I love most is that readers who visit my Facebook page are always enthusiastic and supportive. Reader feedback is absolutely critical and means I am always asking my Facebook friends what kind of stories they would like to read. At the moment I have two new stories in the planning stages as well as a lot of requests to write something erotic/ paranormal. Over the next few months readers can expect to see several new Vivien Sparx stories available to download from Amazon.

  What is the hardest part of writing for you?
Once I have the plot for the story firmly in mind the hardest part of every story I have ever written is starting. Those first words, that first paragraph, that first page are horrible, it is critical to capture and engage the reader from the very first words and so I spend a lot of time trying to craft my openings in a way that engages the reader and invites them to take the journey I have planned for them.

     Who is your favorite author?
I don't have a favourite author and I never read erotic romance. I read a lot of adventure stories and a lot of YA fantasy stories. I don't read erotic romance on purpose because I want to make sure that the stories I create are all a fresh and original take on the subject rather than being influenced by the dozens of outstanding erotic romance authors we all know and admire.

Highest point of your writing career?

2012 has been one thrill after another for me. As a 23 year old new author I started writing erotic romance just 6 months ago with no expectations but with a burning desire to eek out a modest living. Since beginning to publish my books on Amazon I have been overwhelmed by the enthusiastic response of readers. In a year of personal highlights, having 'Her Master's Kiss' break into the top 500 ebooks on Amazon and for me to be ranked now as one of Amazons top 50 authors for contemporary romance is the stand out highlight.

     Advice for aspiring authors?
Writing is a lonely job. If you accept that and you write for yourself rather than with any grand dreams of overnight success than my best advice would be to read widely. You don't need to study the genre that you want to write in but you should study the work of authors you admire (no matter what type of story they write) and see how they use words to achieve their effects. Then write about something you know don't try to write a novel about Africa for example unless you know your subject well enough to write with conviction and with some authority. 
Never underestimate your reader. My readers are the smartest ( most wonderful, beautiful ) readers in the world. They won't accept anything other than the very best you can do. With so many other authors to choose from a smart writer will always value and treasure their readers and give them the very best stories they are capable of writing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment